23 August 2010

On the Plane from Caracas to Lima

Date: 23 Aug 2010
Status: Rushed. Made it - happy. Missed out on having a meal with Marcus at Caracas airport due to the delay with flight from Margarita.

I managed to make the flight for Lima despite the 3-hour delay on our flight from Margarita to Caracas.  Receiving the luggage once we finally got to Caracas took forever... When I got to the international terminal and check-in counter they said they had CLOSED the check-in and refused to check me in. This was 90 minutes before departure time. I reasoned, I begged, I spoke Spanish, English, I pushed, I begged more and I pushed more - and eventually they agreed to check me in. I said a quick bye to Marcus who was waiting to check himself in for his flight to Madrid, rushed to the airport tax counter and pleaded the security guy to let me jump the security control queue (he was telling me to queue just like everyone else but eventually gave in). I got to the gate pretty much at the same time as the airline started putting people on the bus to board the plane. Phew. I hope Marcus made his flight.

I also have to say the wedding on the 21st Aug was fantastic. It was a scorching hot day and we were grateful for the fans Eduardo and the rest of the family handed out to us. The church doors were open and teh fans helped a little but we were all still melting in our seats. Not that it really mattered - we were all so keen to be there when Ilsabeth&Roberto say "I do" that we did not care about the weather.  The grooms side of friends cheered when Roberto said "i do" and the bride's side of friends when Ilsabeth said it. The priest had to  quiet us down to bring order back to the church.

And the party after the ceremony? Fabulous. Great. Amazing. Totally awesome. Beautiful. It took place in an outdoor cafe/bar overlooking the sea. the place had one of the best views of the sea and the night sky you can get on Margarita Island. We saw the sun setting in the Caribbean sea and the night fall over our wedding party. There was music, food, drinks, funny hats, more music, more drinks, dancing, crazy people, lots of laughter and a lots of people with big smiles and happy faces all around. I would have stayed a little longer but eventually joined the girls on a taxi back to the hotel around 2am. I think we danced our legs off.

The next day was again spent on the beach with friends from both sides. We had drinks, enjoyed the sun and the sea, played frisbee, cooled down in the water and chatted off in our deck chairs. We ended the day with a dinner in a beach restaurant, music and again dancing (we had our own little party in this restaurant that only had a few other clients). We stayed til midnight and then we had to go back to pack our bags for the next morning, say goodbyes (I refused to!), shower and catch a few hours of sleep before heading off to the airport the next day.

Next, new adventures in Peru.


No comments:

Post a Comment