21 August 2010

The Great Wedding Day

Date: 21 Aug
Status: Waiting for the two dearies to say "I do" to each other

Today it is! Ilsabeth's and Roberto's wedding - the reason why all of us have travelled half way across the planet just to hear them say "I do" to each other. I cannot wait to hear them say that - particularly since we all thought Roberto might never get married.

It's Day 8 in Venezuela and we've been chilling out at the pool this morning with the other half of the Crazy Friends & Illegal Immigrants party. Before we got here to Margarita on  19th August we spent another chilled out day at Los Roques, visiting one of those "islands" that Los Roques is so well known for that are nothing more than a strip of sand in the big blue ocean. Clean water, beautiful views - but unfortunately also a scorching sunshine. but they have got this fabulous service of renting and bringing you umbrellas and cooler boxes for your island trips. Pack your beer, pack your lunch, pack your "parchita" (passionfruit) and  off you go for your day in the sun. Still a little warm for my Finnish skin and not so much to do in the sun...

Yesterday, the 20th, was possibly the most fun day of the trip so far. We made our way to Playa del Yaque near Porlamar (the big town on Margarita Island) and spent the entire day on the beach with friends&family of the "bride&groom-to-be"s. We had a huge group of people, frisbees, fabulous food - and a beach with soft sand, warm water and all the services.


I rented myself a little kayak and had a good workout paddling across to explore the mangroves and little beaches nearby. I did no make any effort to invite anyone to come along - so it was just me, my kayak, the sea, the lonely stork in the lagoon and the pelicans flying over on their fishing trips. Kayaking in the calm sea is a good activity when one is sorting out their head. It was quiet and beautiful. I had fun exploring the shallows of the lagoons. i saw little fish jumping out of the water in front of my kayak or retreating to safety under the mangroves, a couple of storks casting looks at me from the centre of the lagoon as if they were trying to tell me they are the kings of the lagoon and I'm trespassing their kingdom.  Some "Me" time for thinking, combined with time to observe nature's creations. Perfect.

Food in the beach restaurant was ok . I had a chicken salad with Mr Marcus BUT the real food arrived with Robertos' parents. they brought with them this amazing, homemade seafood mix with bread. I sat down after my kayaking session and after playing with the cutest little 1.5-year old and some useless banter with friends. Someone put a slide of bread with seafood in my hand and I obediently ate it. It was delicious. I had another one. And another one. I got handed yet one more. I was sitting there in a deck chair surrounded by nice people, being handed heavenly food after a nice kayaking session. I felt this bubbly sensation fill me. I know what is one of the key ingredients for the seafood mix - aprt from shrimp and octopus. It was happiness. Definitely happiness.


Wedding party photo here with our "Illegal Immigrants" gang

No comments:

Post a Comment