08 September 2010

Pisco and Banter - More Backpacker Hostel Praise

08 Sep, Flying Dog Hostel, Cusco
Backpackers are also perfect places for making friends. I have really enjoyed the company of some people during this trip - and the best thing you never know when the really fun people are going to turn up. One of the occasions like this for me was meeting Patricia and Andrew at Flying Dog hostel in Cusco.

The most annoying thing about traveling alone is that you end up eating alone all the time. I don't mind a meal by myself planning my travels, reading my book or going through my photos now and then - but usually it happens when you've just arrived in a new town and are most in need of company. Backpackers almost always have company. If not company of food, you can still hang out in the lobby and bother the receptionist on duty with non-meaningful conversations.

Or, in the case of Flying Dog, you can get invited to have a pisco (Peruvian alcoholic drink, about 42% alcohol) with ginger ale and lemon at the hostel kitchen. The drink has a name but don't ask the airhead woman what it was called - I already forgot. Me, Miguel - who manages the different Flying Dog hostels, my two new friends Patricia and Andrew, the receptionist girl, and later also two Argentinian girls shared the most wonderful session of drinks at the hostel kitchen. Since I did not need to get up early, me and Miguel stayed up later and talked about what people talk about when they meet up for the first time over drinks: Travelling, the opposite sex, sex, parents, more sex - and again sex. The situations one can end up in when going out with someone from a country with a more conservative approach to sex, living in a conservative country, or chasing members of opposite sex who come from sexually very liberal countries are definitely worth sharing over a drink.

Looking forward to the next drinkie with friends. In the meantime:
Cheers, guys, and have one for me while I'm away!

No comments:

Post a Comment